Empowerment is seen as the solution to many women’s problems but the truth is a woman can’t be fully empowered, if her mind is not empowered. This is why we have high earning women staying in abusive marriages and a self sustained lady in a relationship with a guy who doesn’t value her, abuses and cheats on her. The mind empowerment I’m talking about here is none other than self-esteem. Majority of the womenfolk have low self-esteem and it has been so since time immemorial. It is not really our fault but how we were raised but now we know better.
What exactly is this self-esteem?
Self-esteem in its simplest meaning is how you see yourself, how much you appreciate and love yourself.
- Do you see yourself as someone that doesn’t deserve happiness?
- Do you feel you won’t get a better opportunity or man than the present one (the man that makes you unhappy)?
- Do you always feel like you’re not good enough and worthless?
- Do you always feel like you’re destined to suffer and can never make it in life?
- Do you stop being you, displease yourself to satisfy others and make them like you?
- Do you believe all the negativity being said about you by family and friends, even though you know you it is not true?
- Are you unable to make decisions and believe other people will make better decisions than you?
- Do you blame yourself unfairly for what is not your fault and what is beyond your power?
- Do you always feel you’re not beautiful enough and see faults in the creation of your being?
If your answers to above question gets a “YES” then, You have a low self-esteem. Don’t be scared, don’t feel bad, it is normal. Majority of the people you see today with good self-esteem have once been in your shoes but took action to regain the self-esteem they never had.
How do you improve your self-esteem?
- You start by moving closer to Allah. Appreciate his work on you because Allah makes no mistakes, all his creations are beautiful.
- Think of “what and who” is affecting your self-esteem.
- Then always have it in your mind that you deserve the best because Allah loves you and some disappointments are blessings in disguise.
- Connect with people that loves and appreciate you for who you are and distance yourself from negative people.
- Set a challenge or goal and achieve it.
- Learn to be assertive.
- Focus on the best and positive things about you.
- Take good care of yourself.
Question: Can a woman truly be empowered if her mind is not empowered?